Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, New Thoughts

Each new year, I try to think about what worked last year, what didn't. For the most part, it all worked in one way or another. The hard part is deciding what worked the best for me. I love to do it all and sometimes that doesn't work so well. It's that old juggling game. It is hard to make sure each aspect gets an equal part of the pie. It never gets divided equally so there is always a part that gets neglected. The end result is "catch-up". I have always been an organized person, so this game of catch-up makes me crazy.

I decided this fall that I would take the month of January "off" from creative ventures and focus on getting caught up and some rest. Well, I'm a week into that plan and my mind is still thinking ahead! Spring is just around the corner so there are nests and eggs and all that springy stuff to seek out. Things are forming in my head that need a prototype made so I can get it out of my head and focus on something else.

One area that I would like to give more time is my Etsy store. I seem to have a following there that doesn't require me to drive, set-up, lug stuff, etc. I just need to provide more "pickins" for them. It is a fabulous way to sell, however, I miss the one-on-one interaction. So, I need to choose which shows will work the best for me. Again, choices have to be made. It's finding the right balance. I will continue to think this process through, in addition to filling the pages of my sketch book and get organized for rest of the year. After packing up at Monticello yesterday, my storage totes are a mess!

Above all, I want to thank you all for making this my most successful year yet! It has been a pleasure to meet you all and I look forward to visiting with you in the months to come. M.

10 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Hi Martha,

It was so nice getting to chat with you yesterday. We need to do that more often. Good luck on your 2009 plans and I hope we can get together again soon!

XO,

Lisa

Suzanne said...

Martha, Thanks for sharing your new years plans. Every new year is a new beginning. I wish you luck and peace in finding the balance. I am a single mom and I only know how hard juggling can be. My best to you. Love and Prayers, Suzanne

Nancy said...

Hi Martha...Thank-you so much for visiting.
Now, this is an interesting topic...what to do, how to do it and when?! So many questions...and it seems like so little time. I am sure you will get your creative juices going in the next few weeks...and amazing little creations will appear!

Looking forward to sharing with you in 2009!
Hugs, Nancy

Maison Douce said...

Martha, I really enjoyed spending time with you on Monday!! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Isabel

Charmingdesigns said...

Good Morning Martha. Yes, enough of the storms...at least the snow is gone. I'm leaving for a crafting vacation to San Jose in 2 weeks, my friend sent me a ticket..so, lets shoot for a Feb. get together. Maybe I'll come back with new ideas...we're going to Los Gatos, SF and Berkeley and soldering, sewing, gluing in the evenings.yippee!!5 days of fun, fun fun. laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha , Sorry I didn't get to see you at Monticello. We picked up Sunday. I hope you did well in spite of the snow. I saw one of your sweet trees sold. I'm trying to work on my Etsy store also , there is something to be said for not having to haul it around and sell it! But I will and am actually looking forward to it. Take care , Sue PS It was a good year , wasn't it? Still shaking my head in wonderment!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Martha,
Thanks for stopping over:) Yup, time to get creative juices going and have some fun. I have to find a job....not sure what to do as I really don't want to "work".. just have to see what it out there..
Have a great weekend.
Warmly,
Deb

Unknown said...

Hi Martha
congrats on your award. come to my site to see what it is.....:-)
Katrina

Sandy said...

I recently found your blog and love it! I would like to add you to my blog roll and am seeking permission to use a photo from your blog as part of post introducing new links to my list. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.

Julie said...

Hello,
I adore the name of your blog! I too, love old black and white pictures. I have one wall in living room with black and white family wedding pictures from the 30's to 50's. I really love your blog!

Blog Archive