Sunday, February 14, 2010

St. Valentine's Day

When we were in elementary school, it was always such fun to make Valentines for all our classmates. There was always a really pretty one for your best friend (Sharon) and one for your teacher (Mrs. Uphaus). Even one for that boy that you thought was kinda cute (don't remember who that was). That was the one your really pondered over. Nothing too obvious, but you wanted it to be just right - whatever that was in grade school!
We also made Valentine boxes that sat on our desks ready to receive all the Valentines. There were contests with prizes for the prettiest, the funniest and the most original. It was a day of fun and excitement with a party at the end of the day. One year the "room mothers" made strawberry sodas and strawberry cupcakes. We slowly poured more and more soda into the glasses to see how high we could get the pink foam before it oozed over the side! Such a simple but memorable treat! Another year, a group of moms made cinnamon candy discs that were really hot. Another wonderful, homemade treat. Now I look back and we really had special celebrations with a lot of thought and care put into them. We were so lucky.


Today, my husband and I are celebrating with friends. A special little dinner here at home.


Something savory, something bubbly and -- of course -- something chocolate!
What would Valentine's Day be without chocolate?

To me, Valentine's Day is a day to recognize our friends, old and new. To let special people know you care and that they make a difference being in our lives. So, with that ...
a Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I love all three of those pictures! Love, the friend with a heart of gold and how very clever the heart stuck into the candleholder is. What great ideas! Happy V Day! - Kathy

Lorrie said...

Such pretty arrangements of simple things. Hope your evening is absolutely wonderful!

Lorrie

Florence said...

Happy Valentine Days to you my friend, I hope it was all you wished for. Florence

Coleen said...

A friend with a heart of Gold.....how lovely!!! I am so happy to let you know that I drew your name for my giveaway!! I need your mailing address so i can send your gift off right away!!! I am so tickled that I drew your name!

Heart Hugs,
Coleen

Kissed by an Angel said...

Sounds wonderful!!! Gorgeous photos!!! Just popped by to say hello!! Love your blog!!
xxxx

Marilyn Miller said...

Sharing Valentine's Day with special friends and family is the very best.

Molly Mo's said...

What a wonderfully delicious valentine meal you prepared for us, thank you again my sweet friend!
love ya,
Diane

Blog Archive