Friday, December 14, 2007

Acceptance




I have finally accepted the fact that we are about 2 weeks behind in getting our usual Christmas activities accomplished. For once, I'm not stressing over it. If it gets done, great. If not, so be it. We will still enjoy the holiday. Is anyone else experiencing this same situation this year? It almost seems more important (or attractive) to just not worry about it and enjoy a movie with my husband. The Christmas cards can be used next year, when I start preparing for the season earlier - right?!? As long as the stockings get filled, a feast is on the table and we are all happy, healthy, and together - not much else matters. I'm going with this theory and enjoy the upcoming week without trying to play catch-up. I'll let you know if I am able to let go of the usual expectations I place on myself. If I can do it, then maybe for once I will be able to actually sit down and relax on Christmas Eve with a glass of cheer and experience the peace that we are supposed to feel and enjoy during this season of celebration. Let me hear from you as to how you deal with getting it all done (or not) for the holidays. Have a merry weekend!

4 comments:

Aleta said...

I'm right there with you, Martha! I had almost this same feeling when we decided to move to Portland. Some things I just let fall away because, in the bigger picture, it's just not all that. Time spent with family and friends is the most important.

Warmest holiday bear hugs, Aleta

Christine LeFever said...

In two and a half hours, people will be coming to my home for the Christmas parlor tour. I'm still in my bathrobe. You see, I too am simply not stressing. The same goes for Christmas. I've bought but a couple gifts for a couple of the grand babies, but it will all work out just fine. I suppose it's because each day is special to me that I cannot draw a distinction.

Enjoy!

Christine

Auntie Joy said...

Hi Martha
I use to freak out this time of year trying to get it all done. I have very few gifts, I haven't made our cards I'm not really caring but I guess my boys might be a little bummed if I don't step up just a wee bit!!
I am enjoying getting together and spending time with those I care about!!
See YOU soon!
JOY

Lana Manis said...

Martha, I feel the same as you. I'd much rather enjoy time with my family rather than frantically trying to get everything just perfect for the holidays.
I just love seeing all of your creations and vignettes in your home ~ jut beautiful!

Blog Archive